Isn’t it romantic? February 14 is right around the corner, so Hiroko Fujikawa, owner of the deluxe MARS THE SALON (www.mars-salon.com) located in West Hollywood, CA, created this flirty look for Valentine’s Day Nails. She calls the design “Love is in the Air”. Take this photo and how-to to your favorite salon as a guide if you don’t plan to be in West Hollywood in time to schedule your Venus-inspired MARS mani!
You will need:
• Base coat • Neon hot pink cream polish • Cotton-candy pink cream polish • Opaque white cream polish • Bright cherry-red cream polish • Fine detailing brushes • Top coat
The basic design is creating a heart shape which tapers to a point at the tip of your nail. We don’t recommend a sharp point, but a graceful oval is perfect.
- Apply base coat.
- Paint a heart – two sweeps, terminating at the free edge—on your thumb nail, using neon pink polish.
- Paint a heart, same method—on your middle finger, using white polish
- Paint a heart, same method—on your pinky finger. These three—thumb, middle finger and pinky—have solid hearts at the tip of the nail.
- Use a contrasting polish and a fine brush to create tiny dots on the solid heart-tips you have created.
- Visualize the clear tip of your index finger nail ending in the tip of a heart-shape. You will leave the lower half of the nail tip clear (no color). Apply the red polish to the top half of the nail, sweeping down into a delicate point in the center to suggest the curves of a heart. Awwww…..
- Do the same moves on the ring finger, except use white polish.
- Apply top coat.
This look is best on a longer, almond-shaped nail or enhancement. Short nails? No worries. We love a short, bright nail with tiny pin-dots like those in the photo. For the sweetest short look, paint all nails the same shade of pink or red, then highlight with tiny white dots.